- Safety Services
- Community Standards
- Fire Inspections
- Fire Inspection Applications
- Flammable Combustible Liquid Storage Tanks
- Underground Storage Tank Installation
Underground Storage Tank (UST) Installation
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
Please review the information packets pertaining to your project below:
- Private Motor Vehicle Fuel-Dispensing (PDF)
- Unattended Private Fuel Dispensing (PDF)
- Unattended Public Fuel Dispensing (PDF)
- UST Installation (PDF)
The following information needs to be available for entry and upload during the online application process.
- Tank Sizes
- Product to be Stored in Tank(s)
- UL Listing for tank(s)
- Description of Overfill Protection
- Description of Spill Protection
- Description of Leak Detection
- Description of Material Beneath the Tank(s)
- Canopy (if applicable)
- Description of Normal Venting System
- Emergency Venting Size
- Description of Signage and Labeling
- Dispenser Type
- Breakaway Safety Device Type
- Electrical Classifications
- Description of Dispensing Line Type
- Description of Venting Line Type
- Anchoring/Ballast Calculations
- Monitoring Equipment
- Backfill Material Type
The following documents need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MNPCA) Tank Registration
- Individual and Company MNPCA Certification
- Detailed Plot Plan Showing:
- New and Existing Tank Locations
- Liquefied Petroleum Tanks
- Property Lines
- >Driving Surfaces
- All Structures
- Surface Waters
- All Utilities
- Piping Layout
- Dispenser Location
- Emergency Controls
- Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Manufacturer Specification Sheets for:
Permit fees are payable online during the application process, please have payment information ready.
Fee Schedule (PDF)
Create an Account
Are you a new user?
Create an Account
Contractors applying for a permit on behalf of a homeowner must setup a User Account and then a Pro Account.
Homeowners doing your own work may setup a User account only.New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Creating a New User in iMS and iMS Tips
Having trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available:
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Creating a Pro Account in iMS
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
Once you have gathered or emailed the necessary documents, you are ready to begin the online application process.
Please note the following:
- Once the application is started, the system will not allow you to go back to a previous page, you must continue through the entire application.
- Once you have completed and uploaded all required documents, a review page allows you to go back and edit any part of the application.
- Any question or upload with a red asterisk (*) is required.
Review and Payment
- Review time is up to 15 business days. Please note, during the busy construction months and with the online software launch, delays may occur.
Permit fees are payable online during the application process, please have payment information ready.Fee Schedule (PDF)
- After permit has been reviewed and approved, an email will be sent indicating plans and permits can be picked up at city hall.
Schedule an Inspection
When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, need the name of contractor doing the work.
- Call Fire Inspections at 763-785-6187 to schedule.