The City helps ensure the construction of safe building and protects community character through zoning and building code regulations. The Building Inspection Department administers these regulations through permits and inspections.
Ask an Inspector
Call or visit Monday through Friday, during the times listed below (no holidays):
- 8 to 9AM
- Noon to 1PM
- 3:30 to 4:30PM
Storm Damage Permit Application Process
Please Note: Due to the large volume of storm related permits, there may be a delay in normal permit processing and scheduling of inspections.
- Fax the application along with your credit card authorization and a copy of your state license to 763-785-6111.
- Mail the application along with your check or credit card authorization and a copy of your state license to The City of Blaine, 10801 Town Square Drive NE, Blaine, MN 55449.
- Come to the Building Inspections counter with the application along with your check or credit card authorization and a copy of your state license. At this time we are only able to process 2 permits per contractor at the counter, but you are able to leave the applications and payment, we will process the permits and return them to you by fax or e-mail.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Fax the application along with your credit card authorization to 763-785-6111.
- Mail the application along with your check or credit card authorization to: City of Blaine 10801 Town Square Drive NE Blaine, MN 55449
- Come to the Building Inspections counter and we will process your permit over the counter.
Please Note: We are unable to take payment by email at this time.
General Inspection Information:
- Pictures are required prior to scheduling inspections for replacement of full-frame windows, siding, roofing, and skylights. Details are specified in the notes on the permits and handouts.
- An inside the home inspection is required for window replacements to verify current carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors requirements are met. An adult must be present for the scheduled date (homeowner or someone authorized by the homeowner).
Electrical Inspections/Permits are through the MN Board of Electricity Opens a New Window. . For information and questions please contact the Electrical Inspector Stephen Tokle.
- Phone: 763-390-9255
- Hours: 7 to 8:30AM
- Scheduling: View their website Opens a New Window.
- To Apply for an Electrical Permit, visit the State of MN Department of Labor and Industry Opens a New Window.
Building and related permits ensure that projects will be constructed according to nationally recognized standards. The standards are designed to protect buildings from collapse and fire, and to ensure the safety of all building occupants. Review of permit applications also ensures that projects meet zoning requirements, such as yard coverage, setbacks and building height.
Some permits, such as residential plumbing, mechanical, building re-siding, re-roofing and window replacements can be issued at the time of application. Other residential permit applications take up to five working days or more to process. Applications for permits should be submitted well in advance of the scheduled starting date. This will allow time for city staff to offer assistance through the process and issue permit at the start of the project. This is especially true during the summer construction season.
Over the past 5 years Blaine building inspectors have performed approximately 65,000 inspections on construction valued at nearly $800,000,000. And over the last 5 years, approximately 1,600 new homes and town homes were built in the City of Blaine.
A building permit is needed for any new construction including:
- In-ground pool
- Mobile home set-up
- Sprinkler systems