- Community Development
- Building Inspection
- Residential Construction Permits
- Window/Door Replacement
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
A building permit is required for the installation of windows (full frame and inserts) and the total replacement of exterior doors.
Please review the information packets related to your construction project.
Information and Documents Needed
to Submit a Permit
The following documents and information need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- Detailed Plans
- Framing and Header Detail
Egress Window Installation
For the most current fees related to your project, view the Fee Schedule (PDF).
Inspections typically include the following, but depending on your project, inspections may be added or removed.
- Required Pictures (for full frame windows only)
- Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide
To schedule an inspection follow the directions in Step 5 Schedule an Inspection.
Allow 3 to 4 business days for scheduling inspections and during the busy construction time please allow more time.
Create an Account
Please Note:Contractors applying for permits on behalf of a homeowner must setupan iMS Account and a Pro Accountbefore continuing with the permit process.
Are you a new user?
If no, continue to step 3 on the left.
If yes, create an account.
Contractors applying for a permit on behalf of a homeowner must setup a User Account and then a Pro Account.
Homeowners doing your own work may setup a User account only.
New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Creating a New User in iMS and iMS TipsHaving trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available here, iMS account creation information.
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Creating a Pro Account in iMS
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
Once you have gathered or emailed the necessary documents, you are ready to begin the online application process.
How to Submit a Residential Building Application in iMS
Please note the following:
- Once the application is started, the system will not allow you to go back to a previous page, you must continue through the entire application.
- Once you have completed and uploaded all required documents, a review page allows you to go back and edit any part of the application.
- Any question or upload with a red asterisk (*) is required.
Review and Payment
Review time is up to 15 business days.Please note, during the busy construction months and with the online software launch, delays may occur.
After completion of the permit review, an email with permit cost and payment instructions will be sent.
- After receipt of payment, plans will be emailed, and work and inspection scheduling can start.
Schedule an Inspection
When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
Please note, during the busy construction months, longer delays may occur.
- Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are a homeowner,need the name of the contractor doing the work.
- Call Building Inspections at 612-422-3285 to schedule.
Roofing and Siding
- Ice and Water pictures for roofing and weather barrier pictures for siding need to be submitted to InspectPix@BlaineMN.gov.
- After roofing pictures are received, Building Inspections will automatically schedule a final roof inspection.
- An email email stating receipt of pictures and pending inspection will be sent.
- The inspector will sign-off the inspection card and leave the card at the job site.
- If you are a homeowner hiring a contractor, the contractor must pull the permit.
- If you would like to view your inspections please follow create an account to view your homes permits and inspections.
- All windows and doors shall be installed per the manufacturer's requirements.
- The manufacturer's installation instructions must be on site for all inspections.
- Information on permits and inspections by property.
- Full frame replacement permit applicants will be required to upload pictures to the permit on their IMS account showing flashing, sealing, and insulation.
- Egress window replacements include a framing inspection.
- At the final inspection, the inspector will check to make sure smoke detector and carbon monoxide updates have been completed.