Accessory Buildings / Sheds
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
Please review the following information packets:
The following documents need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
- Diagram or Drawing of the
Shown on pages 4 and 5 of the accessory building information packet.
- Site Survey
Showing location of proposed shed, house, garage, and any existing sheds.
- Park Management Approval Letter (if applicable)
Accessory buildings in a manufactured home park require a park management approval letter that will need to be uploaded.
Please Note:Contractors applying for permits on behalf of a homeowner must setupan iMS Account and a Pro Accountbefore continuing with the permit process.
Are you a new user?
If no, continue to step 3 on the left.
If yes, create an account.
New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Creating a New User in iMS and iMS TipsHaving trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available here, iMS account creation information.
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Creating a Pro Account in iMS
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
Once you have gathered the necessary documents, you are ready to begin the online application process.
How to Submit a Residential Building Application in iMS
Please note the following:
- Once the application is started, the system will not allow you to go back to a previous page, you must continue through the entire application.
- Once you have completed and uploaded all required documents, a review page allows you to go back and edit any part of the application.
- Any question or upload with a red asterisk (*) is required.
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- Accessory buildings/sheds in a manufactured home park require a park management approval letter.
- Smaller accessory buildings/sheds must meet zoning requirements.
- Accessory buildings larger than 200 square feet are considered a detached garage.
- Zoning requirements differ between neighborhoods and may include a maximum detached accessory building size or prohibit detached accessory buildings. Call the inspections department at 763-785-6170 to verify requirements.