Decks / Porches / Ramps
Requirements for Permit Application Submittal
- Deck Application and Worksheet (PDF)
- 1 copy of diagram or drawing of the deck or porch showing:
- Beam size and location
- Footing size and spacing
- Framing plan, joist size and spacing
- Material list - type of material
- Rail size/height - space between railings
- Size of deck and height from grade
- Stair location and dimension
- Site survey showing location of deck or porch
How to Submit a Permit Application and Required Information
- Come to the counter between 8:00am and 4:30pm to drop off in person
- Submit by Email
- Mail to:
Attn: Building Inspections
City of Blaine
10801 Town Square Drive NE
Blaine, MN 55449
Fee & Permit Process
- A deck up to 100 square feet the Permit fee is $100 plus state surcharge of $1.00.
- A deck over 100 square feet the Permit fee is $150 plus state surcharge of $1.00.
- Deck repair Permit fee is $75.00 plus state surcharge of $1.00.
- The Porch/Porch Deck permit is a valuation based permit see fee schedule.
- Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Review time is 5-7 business days. During the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
- Once your plan has been reviewed you will be contacted to come pickup and pay for your permit.
- When your permit has been paid for and you have the approved plans, you may start your work and schedule inspections.
- When scheduling Inspections please plan at least 2 business days out. During the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
- The footing inspection is after the holes are dug and before the concrete is poured.
- Permits are required for all decks with the following exception:
- Patios made of concrete or pavers on grade.
- Freestanding decks (except manufactured homes) do not require a permit if they are not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade. Freestanding decks do not require footings that extend below the frost depth.
- Consider zoning ordinances and/or homeowners association requirements prior to constructing a free standing deck.
- Manufactured homes require a building permit for all decks that will be used for the path of exit/entry in to the dwelling.
- Manufactured homes require a park approval letter to be submitted along with the application.
- Approved Composite Materials List (PDF)
- Footing Design Handout (PDF)
- Cutting Notching and Boring Handout
- Stairs Landings and Guardrails Handout
- Building Plans Handout
- Fasteners Handout
- Basic Wood Framing Handout
- Framing Tips Handout
- Truss to Wall Connections Handout
- Additions Handout (PDF)
- Deck Porch Ramp Handout
- Residential Safety Glazing