Swimming Pool Regulations in Blaine
- A building permit is required for the installation of any swimming pool except private residential prefabricated pools entirely above ground which do not exceed both 5,000 gallons and 24" in depth (to determine gallons, search "pool gallon calculator" online). This permit will include the required barrier/fencing.
- All swimming pool, pool noise-making equipment, and pool deck surrounds / patios have setback and location requirements to property lines, easements and utility lines.
- All swimming pools are required to be enclosed by protective fences / barriers.
- Pools may not be drained directly into the storm sewer system, or onto a neighboring property. Instead, water should be drained across an open grass area to keep chemicals and unnecessary large volumes of water out of the storm sewer system.
- Every swimming pool shall be under the supervision of a capable individual who shall assume the responsibility for compliance with all parts of Article IX - Swimming Pools - in the Blaine Code of ordinances.
- A "Swimming Pool" is defined as any structure, chamber, or tank containing an artificial body of water for swimming, diving, relaxation, or recreational use. Hot tubs, spas, and inflatable pools are considered pools.
Requirements for Submitting a Swimming Pool Permit
- Application (PDF)
- Type, size, and gallon capacity of the pool.
- Site Plan indicating all of the required details & setbacks mentioned in the pool handout. Property stakes must be located and exposed before a permit will be issued. If there are missing property stakes, the corners must be located/marked by a licensed surveyor.
- An engineer's soils report, to verify the soils can support the manufacturer's design, is required for in-ground pools & pools with designed footings.
Permit and Plan Submittal Preferred Method
Email the application and supporting paperwork requested to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do not send a credit card authorization form, Building Inspections will contact you for payment method when the permit is approved.
Fee & Permit ProcessAbove ground Pool permit is $61
In ground Pool Permit is $101
- Fee Schedule (PDF)
- Review time is 5-7 business days. During the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
- Once your plan has been reviewed you will be contacted to come pickup and pay for your permit.
- When your permit has been paid for and you have the approved plans, you may start your work and schedule inspections.
- When scheduling Inspections please plan at least 2 business days out. During the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
It is the homeowner's responsibility to verify specific zoning requirements or neighborhood covenants, which could impact their proposed project.