Resolution Number 23-01, Mission Statement
Affirming Council / Staff Responsibilities
Adopted January 4, 2023
WHEREAS, the City Council adopted a mission statement contained in Resolution 85-108 and updated as part of the City’s strategic plan process contained in Resolution 20-151:
"Deliver exceptional public services with the highest degree of professionalism and accountability."
WHEREAS, the City Council later adopted Resolution No. 86-41, Affirming Council/Staff Responsibilities, and directed that the resolution be returned to City Council for consideration at the beginning of each new year; and
Whereas, it is intended that this resolution shall continue the intent of Resolution No. 86-41; and
Whereas, the Blaine City Council is composed of seven individuals, all of whom have other occupations, duties, and responsibilities; and
Whereas, the individuals who serve on this Council must depend on the City's staff to provide them with a great amount of background information, data and expertise to aid in determining issues, developing policy and administering the Council's responsibilities in a fair and impartial manner; and
Whereas, it is the City Manager's responsibility to hire and employ people who can and will provide the best possible advice to the Council and who can and will serve the public interest in an exemplary professional manner; and
Whereas, it is the desire of City Council to continue the strong, favorable working relationship it now enjoys with the City Manager and City staff.
Now, therefore, be it resolved by the City Council of the City of Blaine that:
- The City Manager and staff are instructed to continue developing and transmitting to this Council recommendations, research and information based upon their experience and best professional judgment, and are further instructed and encouraged to be forthright, honest and candid in developing and transmitting such recommendations and information, keeping in mind that their and our sole purpose is to serve the public interest.
- This Council pledges that no staff member shall suffer recrimination for acting in a forthright, honest and candid manner in protecting and promoting the public interest.
- This Council further pledges that it will carry out its responsibilities as intended and established by federal, state and local statutes, ordinances and the City Charter, and will do so in a fair and impartial manner. Any City official or employee, elected or appointed, who is found to have used their position in a self-serving manner designed, or having such effect, to promote their own financial interest or the financial interest of a friend, associate, business employer, or relative instead of the public interest, shall be subject to censure, possible removal from office, and prosecution in accordance with federal, state and city laws.
- The simple intent of this resolution is to remind each of us, Council and staff, that we exist in public office or employment, to serve the public interest and not to promote or serve individual interests. In carrying forth this purpose, Council and staff are dependent upon each other to most effectively and fairly transact the City's business and must do so in a forthright, honest and candid manner.
- This resolution shall be kept on file in the City Clerk's office and shall be returned to the City Council for consideration at the beginning of each new year.
- A copy shall be distributed to employees following its adoption.
Passed by the City Council of the City of Blaine this 4th day of January 2023.