Solar Panels and System
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
Permits are required for installation of solar panels and PV systems.
Please review the information packets pertaining to your construction project:
Additional information packets related to your construction project are available below in the Documents section.
Information and Documents Needed
to Submit a Permit
The following documents need to be available for upload during the online application process. Please note, all documents need to be in a PDF format.
For the most current fees related to your project, view the Fee Schedule (PDF).
Inspections typically include the following, but depending on your project, inspections may be added or removed.
- Electrical RI and Final
To schedule an inspection follow the directions in Step 5 Schedule an Inspection.
Allow 3 to 4 business days for scheduling inspections and during the busy construction time please allow more time.
Please Note:Contractors applying for permits on behalf of a homeowner must setupan iMS Account and a Pro Accountbefore continuing with the permit process.
Are you a new user?
If no, continue to step 3.
Please note, homeowner's
If yes, create an account.
New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Having trouble creating an account? Detail instructions are available here, iMS account creation information.
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
Having trouble creating a PRO account? Detail instructions are available:
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- Electrical Permits can be applied for at ims.dli.mn.gov.
- If you are a homeowner hiring a contractor, the contractor must pull the permit.
- If you would like to view your inspections please follow create an account to view your homes permits and inspections.