Certificate of Occupancy
A Certificate of Occupancy is required for all new businesses that are not applying for a building permit prior to occupancy, and recommended for all others. This program allows business owners and business tenants the opportunity to learn what is required to occupy their space in a way that provides a safe work environment and meets the rules and guidelines of the City and the Minnesota State Building and Fire Codes. It is specifically designed to try and avoid business location decisions that end up not working because of code related occupancy or use issues.
- Step 1 - Review and Prepare
- Step 2 - Create an Account/PRO
- Step 3 - Apply
- Step 4 - Review and Payment
- Step 5 - Schedule an Inspection
Review and Prepare
- SAC Determination Form
This is to be turned into the Metropolitan Council 651-602-1421 (Required prior to issuance of permit).
Are you a new user?
Create an Account
New users to the system need to create an account. Please select create an account.
Already have an account?
Create a PRO Account
A PRO account is for contractors that require any city or state license or registration.
Please note, Architects are able to apply for a permit for new commercial buildings without being a PRO account.
- When scheduling inspections, please plan at least three to four business days ahead.
- Please note, during the busy construction months longer delays may occur.
Information needed before calling to schedule an inspection:
- Permit number.
- Address for the job site.
- Inspection type.
- If you are the homeowner, the name of contractor doing the work is needed.
Login to IMS Account and go to your dashboard.
On your Dashboard, go to My Inspections.
- A list of required inspections can be viewed along with the instructions on how to schedule.
- Prior to permit approval, staff will review your permit information. This typically takes 3 to 4 business days. Upon approval you will receive an email that your application has been approved and the permit is ready for payment.
- Upon permit approval (after payment), contact the Building Department to schedule a certificate of occupancy walk-through inspection using the inspections tile on your online permit. An inspection will be scheduled with the new business, a building inspector, and a fire inspector.
- The program will help eliminate future hardships by ensuring that tenants are aware of City or State regulations prior to relocating to a site.
- The program will allow the City to obtain emergency key holder information which will assist businesses in the event of a fire or emergency.