The City of Blaine offers a variety of home improvement programs including grants and low interest loans to help you make your dream home a reality.
Need help planning your project?
Receive expert advice, free of charge, for any project - from a simple renovation to a dream remodel. The Center for Energy and Environment can help sort out the possibilities when it comes to your next project. Services include:
- Help to identify home improvements and repairs
- Information on construction, building codes, and permits
- Site visits to help prioritize home improvements
- A written scope of work for contractors to bid from
- Assistance reviewing contractor bids, proposals, and estimates
- Assistance during the construction process
Call 612-244-2470 for more information.
Make Curb Appeal Improvements with the Front Door Grant
The Front Door Grant can help you make curb appeal improvements to your home, like a new front door, permanent landscaping, or adding brick accents. Grants are issued as reimbursements of 15-25 percent of project cost, up to $5,000. Applicants must have a signed grant agreement with the City prior to starting the project.
Eligible homes are at least 30 years old, have a value under $400,000, and are owner occupied. Eligible projects must include at least $1,000 in beautification elements.
Beautification Projects (Reimbursed at up to 25 percent)
- Front door, storm door, and/or garage door
- Sidelight windows by the front door
- Columns at the front door
- Covered front porch
- Brick, stone, or shakes
- Alter roofline on the front side of the house
- Permanent landscaping
- Window boxes and shutters
- Screening of utility boxes and/or garbage cans
- Maintenance free decorative fence (wrought iron, composite, other similar materials)
- Decorative lighting
- Adding a bay window
Basic Projects (reimbursed at up to 15 percent)
- Soffit or fascia
- Chimney repair, tuckpointing, reporting
- Deck or porch – front yard or side yard visible from the front of the house (repair or replace)
- Retaining wall (repair or replace)
- Driveway, sidewalk (repair or replace)
To learn more and apply visit BlaineMN.gov/HousingInformation. Contact Elizabeth Showalter with questions at 763-717-2751 or [email protected].