Notable Residential Burglary
Earlier this week, a home in the 2200 block of 117th
Lane was burglarized. A watchful neighbor called the home owner, who was in Florida and inquired if they had returned home. The neighbor stated he saw the garage door open and a vehicle was missing. The home owner called and Blaine Police responded.
Through good detective work, the stolen vehicle was located a short while later and three people were taken into custody at a local pawn shop.
One suspect told the detective he chose that particular house because it appeared to be unoccupied as the snow hadn’t been removed from the driveway
or sidewalk.This is why we ask residents to look out for each other. Had the resident not called his neighbor in a timely manner, the suspects would have not been located
so quickly by detectives
- If your plans include a vacation where you will be out of town, please find a friend or neighbor to remove any accumulated snow from your driveway and sidewalk.
- This same person should have your cell number to reach you in the event of an incident with your home.
- If you have an alarm system, use it. Be sure to contact the monitoring station and give them your current phone number and anyone else nearby that may have a key to your home.
- Consider telling a few trusted neighbors that you’ll be out of town; include the date when you leave and when you return.
- If you have a floor or table lamp, consider placing them on a timer to give your home that lived in look.
- Before you pull out of the driveway, double check that all doors are locked.
- Lastly, because of an observant neighbor, the home owner alerted police to the burglary and detectives were able to find the suspects in a timely manner.
Excel Energy SCAM:
Some small businesses here in Blaine are being targeted by alleged “Excel Energy” employee who claims their electric bill is past due and threatens to shut off
their electricity. Read more about it here:https://www.xcelenergy.com/billing_and_payment/customer_data_&_privacy/avoiding_scams
Thank you T.N. for alerting us on this scam. Yesterday, the 17th
, officers took a fraud report of this very same thing only the business owner believed it to be true.
Police Media Report
Texting and driving, it can wait.