Daycare Letter Scam
Over the past week BPD has received reports of letters being sent to several in home child care businesses. The letter made reference to alleged child abuse and then made a demand of money sent via bitcoin to the letter writer. This letter has also been reportedly sent to child care providers in Andover and other cities
within the County. It was scam.
Fake IRS Phone Scam
Another resident received a bogus phone call from a male that stated he was from the IRS. With the holiday shopping season officially starting next Friday,
I anticipate more scams, in the form of emails and phone will increase. If you receive bogus calls on your cell phone, block them. You do not need to
call and report it us.
Black Friday Shopping Tips
If you’ll be one of the millions out shopping on black Friday, here are few things to keep in mind:
- Pay attention to your surroundings
- Don’t use your phone while checking out and paying for your goods. It can lead to distraction or possible loss of your credit/debit card
- Place your purchased items in the trunk or if your vehicle doesn’t have one, cover them up.
- Lock your car doors and set the alarm
- Remove any mail, pocket change, etc from your vehicle. Yes, that type of stuff is what some thieves look for.
- When headed to your vehicle, put your phone away and have your keys in hand.
- If you have a permit to carry, never, ever leave your firearm in your vehicle.
- Do you really need to bring that big purse? Give yourself a break from the big heavy purse and use something smaller instead and bring only what you need.
Cyber Monday Safety Tips:
- Create a folder within your email system. Title it something like “2017 Holiday Online Purchases”
- Anytime you receive an email from the merchant, save that message to the folder.
- Same goes if you use Paypal or other online payment services.
- Keep track of the parcel when the merchant lets you know it’s on the way.
- If possible, have the package shipped to your work address (not always possible)
- If ordering from Amazon, use one of their many parcel delivery type lockers located at Cub Foods within the city.
Financing a Pet
From FTC.gov is a good article on “financing” a pet and what the hidden language may reveal https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2017/11/are-you-buying-or-leasing-your-pet-not-joking?utm_source=govdelivery
Thanksgiving and Carbon Monoxide Safety tips included with newsletter. Worth the time to read.
There will be no Crime Prevention update next week.
Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Eyes up, phone down. It can wait.
Police Media Report