Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Show All Answers
2. What is the cost? All fees are listed at the top of the application.
3. How long does it take to obtain the license? Massage Enterprise applications require an extensive background investigation and also need to be approved City Council. City Council meetings are the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month. Once City Council has approved the license, the background is complete and a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued, you will receive your license and may conduct business.
Massage Therapists also require a background check. These backgrounds are usually complete within 2 weeks. When the background is approved, the City Clerk’s office will contact the Enterprise or therapist to come in for a photo identification badge and pick up their license.
4. If I am not approved, will I receive a refund? The license fee will be refunded but the background fee is non-refundable.
5. If I have a license, can I work at any Massage Enterprise in Blaine? No. You are only licensed to work at the Massage Enterprise where you are licensed.
6. Is my schooling accredited by the State of Minnesota? Before completing an application, call the City Clerk’s office at (763) 785-6122 to find out if your school is accredited by the State of Minnesota. If it is not, you will not be able to apply without attending a school that is accredited.
7. How many hours of schooling do I need? 500 hours of education from an accredited institution with the State of Minnesota.
8. Do I need to complete a Certificate of Occupancy (Enterprise Only)? Yes. Any new business needs to contact the City of Blaine Inspections Division (763) 785-6170 to have a Certificate of Occupancy issued. The Inspections Division and Fire Department will conduct a walk thru and once the Certificate of Occupancy is issued, the background is complete and all criteria have been met, a license will be issued. You are not allowed to work until you have received your license.
9. Is there a limit to the number of Massage Enterprise licenses allowed in the City? Yes. The City has a 1:2,500 population ratio for Massage Enterprises. If a license is not available, applications will be accepted on a first come basis.
2. What is the cost? $100 license fee/$250 deposit per day
If you are having an event in a park and are required to pay a deposit to the Parks & Recreation Department, this deposit will be waived.
If your event is on a weekend, you will need to contact Community Standards (763) 785-6187 to ensure an inspection can be completed and the cost of the inspection.
3. How long does it take to obtain the license? It depends on the size of the special event and when all the paperwork is turned in. The application, fees, additional required forms should all be sent at one time. Large events need City Council approval. City Council meetings are the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month. The Police Department requires 30 days to complete a background investigation. Please allow ample time to process your license.
4. Can I serve alcohol? Alcohol can be served by a licensed caterer or non-profit organization. A copy of the State issued caterer’s permit or proof of non-profit organization status and certificate of liability insurance naming the City of Blaine as an additional insured with the dates/times of the event must be provided. 5. Can I have outdoor amplified music? Yes. The noise ordinance must be followed and you will need to meet all the requirements of Community Standards/Fire Department. 6. Do I need to notify area residents of the event? Many large events and events with music do require a range of resident notification.
7. Can we have fireworks? Yes, with approval/inspection from the Fire Department. Please contact Community Standards (763) 785-6187.
8. Can we put up signs? Yes. Contact Planning (763)785-6180. Additional fees and application form.
9. Can I put up tents? Yes. Contact Community Standards (763)785-6187. Additional fees and application form.
10. What if traffic is impacted? If additional traffic control is needed, work with the Police Department (763) 785-6135 to set up any additional Officers or outside services needed to control traffic and parking.